ROBERT RICHTER VIDEO/FILMOGRAPHY
Director, Writer, Producer unless otherwise noted.
To learn more about any these productions or to book Robert Richter for an appearance with one or more of his productions, e-mail: email@example.com
- THE AGE OF INTELLIGENT MACHINES Science museum film on artificial intelligence, with Stevie Wonder, for Kurzweil Foundation
- AMERICAN WHEAT: DESTINATION VIETNAM Gift of food to orphans of war, for Church World Service
- A PLAGUE ON OUR CHILDREN Dioxin, PCBs and the regulation of toxic waste, PBS/Nova's first two-hour special, narrated by Jason Robards Jr
- ASBESTOS ALERT Studs Terkel narrates OSHA documentary on strategies for safety and health
- BACKLASH IN THE WILD Loggers, ranchers, miners and developers in TBS Audubon special, with correspondent Arthur Kent
- BANKING ON LIFE AND DEBT Martin Sheen narrates short version of "The Money Lenders" (see below)
- BEN SPOCK, BABY DOCTOR PBS "Nova" biography of famed pediatrician, author and peace activist, narrated by Jane Alexander
- BUSINESS OF HUNGER, THE Short version of "Hungry for Profit" (see below), narrated by Ruby Dee
- CAN TROPICAL RAINFORESTS BE SAVED? The first global look at this global issue, a PBS prime-time special
- CBS News Inquiry: THE WARREN REPORT One of team of producers for four one-hours on the official version of the JFK assassination, with Walter Cronkite
- CBS News Special: VIETNAM & THE PRIMARIES Co-producer/writer with Av Westin of first network look at hawks vs. doves splitting America, with correspondent Roger Mudd
- CBS News: 1968 PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARIES News features with Walter Cronkite, Mike Wallace and others
- CBS Reports: ABORTION AND THE LAW Assoc. Producer for Producer David Lowe ("Harvest of Shame")
- CBS Reports: BULLDOZED AMERICA First network documentary look into major environmental issues, with correspondent Charles Kuralt
- CBS Reports: NEW YORK BATTLEGROUND Associate Producer for Producer Gene de Poris, for Robert Kennedy's controversial race for US Senate, with correspondent Eric Sevareid
- CHANGING COURSE: WOMEN & EDUCATION Executive Producer for six half-hours on equal opportunities for women, for US Dept. of Education
- CITY OUT OF WILDERNESS Treatment Writer, Field Producer for Washington, DC, history for U.S. Capitol Historical Society--an Academy Award nominee
- COME OUT SHINING! Youth-adult partnership in a troubled mid-western city, an innovative social experiment
- CONVICTIONS: PRISONERS OF CONSCIENCE Non-violent human rights activists face federal prison
- CROSSING THE LINE Susan Sarandon narrates, Martin Sheen speaks out in human rights documentary of SOA Watch demonstration
- EATING THE SCORPION American teachers visit China for the first time, an experience that transforms them and their students
- ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION: A BEGINNING Innovative techniques, for US Department of Education
- THE GIFTS Water pollution in the US, Academy Award nominee. "The most beautiful film on ugliness ever made." Executive Producer, co-writer.
- GODS OF METAL Anti-nuclear activists in the US at the height of the Cold War, an Academy Award nominee
- GROWING UP Teens and their problems, an Iowa public TV series. Writer.
- GUNS AND GREED Links SOA to World Bank/IMF policies in Central American sweat shops. Oscar "short list."
- HEADLINE REACTION Weekly Oregon public TV panel discussion series on major issues. Producrer, on air host.
- HHH: WHAT MANNER OF MAN Hubert Humphrey biography, for his 1968 campaign for President. Producer, director.
- HOSTAGE! "Closeup" with ABC correspondent Peter Jennings on hostage taking and terrorism. One of three producers.
- HUNGRY FOR PROFIT PBS independent look at global agribusiness and its human and environmental impact
- KALEIDOSCOPE Weekly Oregon public TV interview series with local or visiting public figures, including Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- THE LAST ATOMIC BOMB Nuclear proliferation, a Nagasaki survivor and students campaign for nuclear abolition today. The New York Times: "Deeply affecting." Director, co-producer with Kathleen Sullivan. ISBN 1-57448-160-6
- LEAVING HOME Almost every one does--eventually. It's different for Renu. Moving coming-of-age doc.
- LINUS PAULING, CRUSADING SCIENTIST A PBS "Nova" biography of only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes, one for chemistry, the other for peace
- MATH FOR FIVE-YEAR-OLDS Innovative techniques for children, for Francis Thompson Inc.
- THE MONEY LENDERS Critical look at World Bank and IMF. Too hot for PBS, prime-time everywhere else.
- NEW PATRIOTS, THE A Congressional Medal of Honor winner and other U.S. military veterans speak out on terrorism, patriotism and their transformation into peace activists.
- NEW YORK BATTLEGROUND: THE RACE FOR THE SENATE Robert Kennedy's historic 1964 campaign for U.S. Senate, narrated by Eric Sevareid. Richter was Associate Producer and co-writer with Sevareid.
- NOBEL'S LOST PRIZE Screenwriter of feature fiction film, now in development.
- ON THE RUN Teenage runaways and programs to help them, for US Department of Health, Education and Welfare
- OREGON REPORTS Weekly public television series on local issues
- OUTER SPACE: CAN WE AFFORD TO GO? With Walter Cronkite, a Discovery channel prime-time "Cronkite Reports" special. Director, producer, co-writer.
- PROJECT SECOND CHANCE PBS prime-time look at help for high school dropouts, produced for Arkansas public tv
- THE PROSECUTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH Best-selling author/murder prosecutor Vince Bugliosi's powerful case. Consulting producer. Release September 2012.
- RIGHT TO READ, THE Illiteracy in the US and programs to help, a Francis Thompson Inc film for US Department of Education
- ROOSEVELT ISLAND Short film for USIA magazine series, made soon after it opened
- SCHOOL OF ASSASSINS Human rights abuses by SOA graduates, Academy Award nominee
- SCHOOL OF ASSASSINS Co-writer of screenplay, fictional version of "Father Roy: Inside the School of Assassins," now in development.
- SIERRA CLUB Short film for USIA magazine series.
- THE ULTIMATE WISH: ENDING THE NUCLEAR AGE Abolition of nuclear weapons and nuclear power plants. Fukushims and Nagasaki survivors.
- TIME TO ABOLISH WAR Highlights of world's largest peace conference, for Hague Appeal for Peace
- UNDER THE GUN: DEMOCRACY IN GUATEMALA Civilian rule after decades of dictators, PBS independent. Director, co-producer.
- VIETNAM: AN AMERICAN JOURNEY First look by US filmmaker at postwar Vietnam
- VISION Television magazine segments for United States Information Agency (USIA)
- WHAT PRICE CLEAN AIR? PBS prime time special on fight over the Clean Air Act, a National Emmy finalist
- WHERE DO YOU STAND Textile workers struggle to unionize in a company town. Co-producer.
- WHO SHOT PRESIDENT KENNEDY? Walter Cronkite narrates PBS "Nova" on forensic science re-examining the evidence, a National Emmy finalist
- WHITE LIGHT, BLACK RAIN: HBO version of "The Last Atomic Bomb" (see above). National Emmy for "exceptional merit in non-fiction filmmaking." Screened at Sundance 2007. Oscar short list. Executive Producers Robert Richter and Sheila Nevins
- WOMAN REBEL: A Nepali revolutionary, from the jungle to Parliament. 2010 Oscar short list for documentary shorts. Kiran Deol, Producer. Robert Richter, Executive Producer. More at: womenrebels.org
- WORLD TRADE CENTER Short film for USIA magazine series, made soon after WTC opened
To learn more about any Richter production, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org